Sunday, June 12, 2016

Everyone has True Greatness

I have always wanted a family. From a very young age I started planning my family, and when I did get married at the ripe old age of 19, I chose a man who also wanted a family. We surprised ourselves by starting a family right away. And for the most part, I have been very content with my chosen profession. Here are 10  reason why I love my job-

1. It never gets boring. This job keeps me active and on the go!

2. I get to make the rules, although I can't really say I work for myself. 

3. I enjoy the people I work with, in fact, I would go as far as saying, they are my very favorite people in the world. 

4. There are times when it can be a thankless job, but in the moments when I do see the rewards of my efforts it is all worth it.

5. I get to make my own schedule, although I do have to get it approved by my "commitee".

6. Even though I don't get sick days, I do get take care of my babies when they have one.

7. I get to make food whenever I am hungry, although I do have to make enough for everyone.

8. I don't have to commute and I can work in my jammies if I feel like it.

9. I get to plan fun activities whenever I want and I always have someone to do them with me.

10. There are five people who love me, and need me, more than any other human being on the planet... And that is my favorite reason!

Those 10 reasons are great and make my life sound like a bunch of peaches and cream- but I have to be honest... 

There are days when it sucks. Days when I don't want to change another poopy diaper, make another hungry kid a PBJ, or wash my 10th load of laundry for the day- let alone fold it!

These moments come as often as the good ones, and sometimes they get me down and I think- Is this all that life has to offer me... Poop and peanut butter smears??? 

I am comforted by these words that tell me I am on the right path... And while sometimes my job seems like menial work with disgusting tasks that I wouldn't even expect a bio hazard crew to do, it has taught me so many lessons about life. I have learned that true greatness is in every single human being! It's not your job title that makes you great- its the attitude with which you do the job- whatever it may be- that makes you truly great. 

I am still working on this. It is not always easy to have a good attitude as I clean up after my kids and pets, or change diapers or hear kids fighting and/or complaining a hundred times a day... But I am a striving for progress not perfection...

If I know that my attitude is more important than the task at hand, and if I can remember it daily, I will achieve just as much greatness in my life, and in the lives of those around me, as any important king, queen, president, or leader! 


"To those who are doing the common place work of the world but are wondering about the value of their accomplishments; to those who are the work horses of this Church, who are furthering the work of the Lord in so many quiet but significant ways; to those who the salt of the earth and the strength of the world and the backbone of each nation- to you we would simply express our admiration. If you endure to the end, and if you are valiant in the testimony of Jesus, you will achieve true greatness and will live in the presence of our Father in Heaven." 
Howard W. Hunter - True Greatness




No comments:

Post a Comment